Monday, January 24, 2005

Met the first Dr. at Duke that I didn't like today.

Ugh .. I hope I don't see her much. She made a couple of comments that just irritated me. And she is the first one I have run into over there that acts like she isn't totally up on the whole VBAC idea. Oh and she thinks epidurals are great. Not what I want to hear when I am wanting a natural birth and a VBAC .. oh and she is already starting the whole your pelvis might not be big enough to birth a big baby .. the woman hasn't been near my pelvis .. so how in the world would she know??? Not to mention .. we all know women who have 9 and 10 lb babies all the time. I'm a big woman and I have a large frame .. why the heck wouldn't my pelvis have plenty of room? Heck .. my 5'4 125lb SIL had a 9lbs 2oz baby girl no problem. I just don't like it when the first things out of the Drs. mouth is hemmin and hawing about negative stuff. I've spent the last 3 years researching VBACS .. I know the risks, the things that make it more likely to happen or not happen. I figure .. if we can keep my BP under control with the meds, I actually dialate on my own and my body goes into labor on its own.. and we skip the whole preeclampsia thing .. who cares how big the baby is .. atleast give me a trial of labor right? I am really hoping to avoid this Dr. in the future. I really like the other ones I have seen and they all seem very pro-VBACs and having that positive outlook is a definite plus in my opinion.

Ohhh and she made a crack about my weight too! Which didn't make me like her any better. We discussed the anterior placenta and I told her that finally explained why we hadn't been able to hear the heart beat via doppler for Skyla until 19 weeks. She told me it wasn't because of the anterior placenta that it was because of my weight! I said "well that's funny since I heard Chip's heart beat at 14 weeks and I weighed 20lbs more when I got pregnant with him". She did say that they would pay special attention to the location of the placenta during my next growth scan (aka ultrasound because they think I'm growing a monster baby in there). She said that more than likely that the anterior placent wouldn't be a problem when it came to giving birth .. so we will see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If anybody has the right to make observations about you being morbidly obese, I think it's a doctor.

Especially when you post things like: "(and this was after feeding my face with Pizza, chocolate-chocolate chip muffins, and cherry cordial hot cocoa at Melissa's valentine's party ..sssshhhh don't tell my Dr. !!!)"

I find it amusing that you talk about "feeding your face" with garbage and then complain when people make medical comments about your weight. What do you expect?

If I smoked a pack a day and went in to the doctor coughing and hacking, then the doctor said, "That's because of your smoking" - I wouldn't say, "What a dick! Making a comment about my smoking!!!".

It's the doctor's JOB to comment on any and all unhealthy conditions they observe. And like it or not, being morbidly obese is an unhealthy condition.

PS - Instead of hiding your head in the sand and deleting my comments, why don't you stand up for yourself? Is it because you know you have no ground to stand on? That I'm right about every single thing?

If you delete this comment - You are VALIDATING everything I am saying. 100%. So go on. Delete it. You know you want to.